HOW TO HIRE A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR: A 5-STEP GUIDE TO HELP YOU FIND THE BEST ONE!
In this article, you will discover how to hire a private investigator. We have categorized the issues to consider in a convenient 5-step guide. The steps allow you to:
- Define your requirements without skipping any details
- Get insight into the investigation company’s abilities
- Have all the information at hand to ask relevant questions
- Evaluate the investigation company so that you can find someone suitable
After going through the steps, the company of your choice can also assess your situation more quickly and advise you about the best possible approach.
HOW TO ASSESS A PRIVATE DETECTIVE AGENCY?
If you have no experience hiring a private investigation company or detective agency, we advise you to take the steps of this guide in the correct order. With some experience, step 1 may not be necessary, and if you have chosen a company to contact, you may only need to use step 2.
Step 1 | Understand the scope
Private investigators have numerous skills and offer various services, from tracking down someone to finding information or assets. Some specialize in corporate investigations, while others focus on working as a divorce, cybercrime or digital private investigator. Undercover investigators can work on stalking or corporate fraud cases, sometimes assisting police or other federal institutions. Sensitive operations require discreet and covert investigators, for instance, with custody cases.
When you understand that PIs may have a specialty, you will better define your purpose of hiring someone and ask them appropriate questions.
Step 2 | Define the purpose
Whatever your case may be, summarizing your information enables the intended company to assess your situation better and faster. The company can instantly indicate if they can help you. You can outline your information by answering questions such as:
- First, inform the company if you are in any danger (threats, stalking or bribery). Do you feel that you need protection?
- What or who is the target for the investigator?
- Does the situation pose any threat to you, as far as you know?
- Is your situation personal or business-related?
- Is undercover, covert, or discreet investigation required?
- Where is the target located?
- Does the investigator need to travel?
- What documentation, data, or other relevant information do you have available?
- What other personal or business information can you disclose that might be relevant to your case?
- Have you tried any other ways or agencies to help you solve your problem?
Not every question requires a detailed answer. You can use the list as a starting point of your conversation.
Step 3 | International private investigations
Check for professional investigative agencies that operate internationally. In our experience, many cases cross borders, and engaging a company with international experience will certainly increase efficiency and positively affect the outcome.
A professional agency is transparent about its services and willing to share knowledge with you. Check if they have an elaborate website, are present on social media and whether it is easy to contact them. Also, can you meet with them, online or at an office? How professional do they come across to you?
Being transparent does not imply disclosing any details about clients or part of their methods. It would violate the client’s privacy. Discussing certain methods or a specific approach should only be done in direct contact with you.
Step 4 | Ask relevant questions
If you have found a company that you would like to contact, you can keep the following questions at hand to find out more about their experience and get a feeling about their competency.
They should be instantly able to answer:
- What is your experience?
- Where/in which countries does your company operate?
- How do you deal with confidentiality/integrity?
- What licenses, skills and experiences do your employees have?
- Have your employees been screened?
- How is your company insured?
- What is the daily rate or fixed fee for my request?
- How does your customer service work? Do I sign a contract?
- Can you provide references/reviews?
Once you feel comfortable and have the impression they can help you, you can share details about your situation (using the questions in step 1). Next, summarize your request once more to ensure the company understands your requirement. Finally, if they respond to your liking, ask for a quotation.
Step 5 | The offer and process
Understand that a suitable offer can only be provided if the company understands your situation completely. Subsequently, the offer should include professional advice, a plan of action, and, if possible, a projected outcome. Also, look out for details about how the company will interact with you to monitor the process.
OUR EXPERIENCE AS A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR
Our employees are all former military and police officers from specialized units around the world, who have been trained to work according to the latest tactics and procedures. We can work by your side or remotely and help you wherever you find yourself in the world.
Our services inlcude:
- International private investigations
- Finding missing persons
- Due dilligence investigations
- Background screening
- Intelligence gathering
- Geopolitical risk analysis
- Asset tracing and recovery
- Covert surveillance
- Counter surveillance and TSCM
- Covert personal protection
MORE INFORMATION ON HOW TO HIRE A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR
Feel free to contact us with your questions about how to hire a private investigator. We look forward to sharing details about our experience with you.